COCONUT CURRY CARROT SOUP
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ pounds carrots, peeled, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup dry lentils
- Himalayan sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 15-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- Crushed red pepper flakes, cilantro leaves, crushed red pepper flakes, or flaky bread (for serving)
- Heat oil in a small pot over medium-high. Add chopped carrots, season with salt, and cook, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned around the edges.
- Add chiles, shallot, ginger, garlic, curry powder, and turmeric powder and cook, stirring often, until shallot and garlic are softened.
- Add coconut milk and water or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until carrots and lentils are tender.
- Remove from the heat. Roughly chop the cilantro leaves and stems, add to the pan along with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Purée with an immersion blender or carefully in small batches in a blender until smooth.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes, cilantro leaves, or crushed red pepper flakes and serve with warm, flaky bread.